Gander, N.L. (Canadian Press) – A Newfoundland RCMP officer who was recently suspended from active duty is now facing several more charges for a series of assaults allegedly committed over more than 15 years.
The Mounties said in a statement Friday that the Gander-based officer is now charged with seven more counts of assault and one count of assault with a weapon.
The officer was previously charged with one count of assault after police received a complaint involving the accused late last month.
The RCMP say information that was uncovered during the investigation suggests that the officer was involved in additional incidents dating back to 1996.
The officer appeared in provincial court Friday and was released on conditions that included having no contact with the complainants.
Police say the officer was off duty during all of the alleged events.
The statement says police will not be releasing the accused’s name to protect the identities of the victims.
The accused was suspended from active duty more than one week ago after the first charge was laid.